Call Us! 303-459-7898

Adult Criminal Justice Records

As lawyers, we understand that bad things can happen to good people. All too often, it isn’t until after it is too late that a person finds out about a problem from the past involving an arrest, dropped charge, or other problem involving an accusation of criminal behavior. Events from ten or more years ago can still affect you today if someone runs a background check. Even arrests will show up on your permanent record, potentially denying you a job opportunity, rental, or other benefit where a background check is necessary. Rather than spend the time in Court and arduous resources to have your record sealed for a past criminal matter, we encourage you to instead consider the flat-rate record seal petition package offered by the attorneys at Wessels & Arsenault. Juvenile records, underage drinking and driving, drug convictions, municipal ordinance and petty offense convictions may also qualify to be sealed.


Only a limited set of circumstances qualify for a record seal petition, so it is important to determine in advance whether you qualify to have your record sealed. These include:

Arrests but no charges are ever brought by the District Attorney

You are charged but the charges are dropped*; or if

You are tried but acquitted at trial.

You were convicted in a municipal court (or entered a guilty plea) of a municipal ordinance violation AND you were not convicted of a misdemeanor or felony within three years after that conviction. More information on Municipal and Petty Conviction record sealing

*Many plea bargains that are ‘deferred’ ultimately result in the case’s dismissal and, in many cases, this makes the record eligible to be sealed. See our page on whether or not your record qualifies to be sealed or expunged. If you are unsure, a separate determination can be done at a low cost and is included in most of our flat fee agreements.

Many people are surprised to learn that, although the case was ultimately dismissed, or EVEN IF YOU WON AT TRIAL there is probably still a record of the charge.

It is important to note many, if not most, state and county criminal matters in the State of Colorado are not eligible to be sealed. Although various other circumstances may exist for a successful record seal petition, there is no guarantee that your record can be sealed. Even if you qualify to have a hearing, the court must ultimately determine whether the petitioner’s right to privacy outweighs the state’s right to know and publish knowledge of the criminal matter in question. Please contact one of our attorneys for more information.

Other Types of Records May also Qualify to be sealed or expunged in Colorado

Other records may also, under certain circumstances be sealed, expunged or destroyed:

DNA evidence Collected against you

Conviction for Underage Driving with a BAC of .02 to .05 (UDD or underage drinking and driving)

Certain Juvenile Records

See our page regarding other types of records

What the lawyers of our firm can do for you:

We will confirm whether you are eligible to qualify for a record seal petition. If you qualify, we will petition the court on your behalf, and then ensure that your record is sealed and that all parties are properly notified of any issued order to seal. The cost of filing is included in the flat-rate and includes research, filing fees, e-filing fees, mail, paper, and basic costs. Other attorneys might charge at least $1,500 and up to $2,500 for the record seal petition serve. Our attorneys have developed efficiencies in the filing process and can pass on the savings to you. If your case was dropped or charges were never brought, we can do the work for substantially less. If you case is a drug conviction record (controlled substance) or other type of record, please see the relevant page for pricing and more information.

Please contact our firm for more information at 303-459-7898